[lit-ideas] Re: Beyond Belief

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:53:22 EDT

R. Paul aptly quotes from that treatise seldom quoted today, "De Carne
Christi" -- of Christ's Flesh -- by Tertulian(us), -- Bk. 5:

     'natus est Dei filius:
     non pudet quia  pudendum est;
et mortuus est Dei filius:
     prorsus credibile est, quia ineptum est;
     et sepultus resurrexit:
     certum est, quia impossibile.'

R. Paul comments:

>'Certum est, quia impossibile est' is often extracted
>and misquoted as 'Credo  quia
>impossibile.'

Interesting. I have seen it (mis)quoted as "credo quia _absurdum_ (est)",
which is (oh so much) weaker than "impossibile" -- and even than
'inconceivable'), so I was glad to learn that Tertulian used the  strongest of
the
adjectives here: "impossible" -- by which I submit he  meant the _metaphysical_
impossible. (I always thought that 'absurdum' was too  subjective a quality to
refer
to these deep theological matters -- seeing that  religious myth, as McCreery
and Geary have commented, _deal with_ and _dwell on_  absurdities (most of the
time).

But back to Tertulian's text --:

     'Natus est Dei Filius:
non pudet quia  pudendum est;
et mortuus est Dei Filius:
     prorsus credibile est, quia ineptum est;
     et sepultus resurrexit:
     certum est, quia impossibile.'

A quick reference to

_http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=Latin&to=En
glish_
(http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=Latin&to=English)

provides this rather poor English translation

      'Natus is God's Son:
      not it shames because shameful is;
      and dead is God's Son:
      forward credible is, because to play the  fool is;
      and burial f: undoubted is, because  impossible.'

My attempt:

    born is the son of God:
    It does not shame (me) [at all] because it _is_ [so]  shameful
          [anything connected  to _birth_ and _pudenda_ was shameful
          to the fathers of  the church].
    But now dead is the son of God:
    This _is_ credible; because it is (so) _inept_ [a  proposition].
    And later, well buried in the grave, he did  resurrect:
    This is _certain_, because it is (so) impossible.

Note that Tertulian uses 'pudendum'. I append below the plural, 'pudenda',
from the OED.

Note that Tertulian's passage is then not a 'credo' as it is often  misquoted
as. Rather, it provides a statement of 'certainty' ('this is  certain'). This
was written before Descartes, so Tertulian possibly could not  distinguish or
conceive a distinction between _subjective_ certainty and  _objective_
certainty. Since Descartes, it is accepted that something can be
_subjectively_
certain _yet_ false -- and so Tertulian's dictum, "It is certain  _and_
impossible" looks less contradictory than it _sounds_.

The ultimate motivation (in Tertulian) is very Protestant: people should
believe what the Dogma says _without_ trying to _rationalise_ it. And
sometimes,
the very fact that something _sounds_ as an impossible thing to have
happened,  should be held as _certain_ for that very reason. Beyond belief,
indeed.

Cheers,

JL

----

"pudendum". Usually in pl. pudenda. [L., neuter gerundive of  <NOBR> to cause
shame, ashame, lit. â??that of which one ought  to be ashamedâ??, used as n.,
commonly in pl.]. The privy parts; the  external genital organs, esp. those of
 woman.

1398 TREVISA Barth. De  P.R. V. xlviii. (Bodl. MS.),

Also for schame  ese partyes hatte pudenda  e schamelich  parties.

1634 SIR  T. HERBERT  Trav. 15

She [Hottentot] will  immediately pull by her flap, and discouer her pudenda.

1748 HARTLEY Observ. Man I. iv. 449

The original Sources  of the Shame relating to the Pudenda are probably the
Privacy requisite [etc.].

1841 RAMSBOTHAM Obstetr. Med. (1855) 33

These parts, closing  and surrounding the genital fissure, altogether
constitute the pudendum.

1893 T. M. MADDEN Clin. Gynæcol. v. 59

The value [for  pruritus] of a solution of cocaine freely brushed over the
pudendum..is  unquestionable.

1922 A. G. MAGIAN Sex Probl. Women ii. 31

The Vulva, or  Pudendum, The Vulv(1) The labia majora and minora  bounding
the pudendal cleft. (2) The mons veneris. (3) The vestibule, [etc.].

1977 E. J. TRIMMER et al. Visual Dict. Sex (1978) v. 58  Sanskrit manuscripts
show Indian women with shaved pudenda.

1984 SMITH A Tri-Dimensional  Chart of the Pudenda.

b. fig.
1938 S. Beckett Murphy 47
Here are the pudenda  of my psyche.

(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/cgi/entry_main/00191924?query_type=misspelling&queryword=pudenda&edition=2e&first=1&max_to_show=10&single=
1&sort_type=alpha&control_no=null&case_id=qtft-fqFW97-3341&p=0&sp=1&qt=1&ct=0&
ad=0&d=1-D#top)