[lit-ideas] Re: Beyond Belief

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:09:38 EDT

In a message dated 8/23/2004 12:06:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
As a  matter of fact, I've just started reading _Beyond Belief_ by  Elaine
Pagels.  Interesting book.   Has anyone else read her  [books or interviews]?
---

Not me (so far). The expression 'beyond belief' (a kind of cliche) I  took
from an essay by Tufts philosopher Daniel Dennett ('Beyond belief') in A.
Woodfield, Thought and Object.

As I recall, Dennett is interested in the _basis_ of 'belief' (_any_  belief,
not just religious) and comes up with something like Stephen Stich's
"sub-doxastic states".

I thought the phrase 'beyond belief' was commoner than it was. The OED
quotes are not that many, or colloquial (below). There is in fact just _one_
quote, and the expression is "_almost_ beyond belief", which is (hardly)
'beyond
belief (and the subject his 'spectacles' -- the Pope's, one supposes).

Cheers,

JL

'beyond' -- with noun expressing a state of mind, as belief: not  within the
range of, not according to, past,  surpassing.

1701 W. WOTTON Hist. Rome 285

His Spectacles were  almost beyond  belief.