[lit-ideas] Re: Beyond Belief

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:20:50 EDT

In a message dated 8/23/2004 12:06:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
As a  matter of fact, I've just started reading _Beyond Belief_ by  Elaine
Pagels.  Interesting book.  I just finished her _Gnostic  Gospels_.  She's a
very readable historian of religion.  Having  accepted the fact that
Christianity is probably not going to go away  anytime soon, I've decided to
try to reach some accomodation with it,   you know, find out where it came
from, what it wants, and how it evolved  into the thing it is today.  I find
Pagels very  enlightening.   Has anyone else read  her?

----

A connection can be made here with the topic of inconceivability.

It was that Father of the Church who said (in Latin)

           It is absurd;  therefore, I believe it.

(He was referring to either Jesus's resurrection or to the Immaculate
Conception (or both).

On another accounts of his dictum, it comes out as:

          I believe in it, and  I believe in it (if you ask me)
          _because_ [Latin  *quia*] it's absurd.

But I prefer the former wording since the grammar (and logic) of 'quia' is
tricky (hardly conditional).

Cheers,

JL