[lit-ideas] Re: Beyond Belief

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:37:46 EDT

In a message dated 8/22/2004 10:29:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>  ------------------------------------------------------------------
> To  change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub, vacation on/off,
>  digest on/off), visit  www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html

----

Conceivably, he did it again (sent a message to the list with "no  comments").

I was thinking (and this allows me to refine this point), "believe" and
"conceive" have quite different uses, and L. Carroll should have been aware of
that.

That is,

"I don't believe you did it."

expresses _one_ thing.

"I can't _conceive_ you did it"

expresses a _different_ thing.

I'm not sure what the difference is. It seems that in order to "conceive"
(followed by a 'that'-clause) you have to "believe" (again, followed by a
'that'-clause).

Thus, I can conceive that Marco Polo discovered America, while I _believe_
it was Columbus.

Cheers,

JL