[lit-ideas] Re: Anonymity and revelation...

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:33:13 -0500

I don't know from nuns, but whether it's 'It was me,' or 'It was I' is at least an open question. For the record, I was taught that it was the latter. Mike is saying, for short, 'I was I who dunnit.' If one asks 'Who dunnit?' the correct pronominal reply is 'He dunnit." The correct reply to 'By whom was it done?' is 'Him.' ('It was done by him.') And so on.

I guess I'll have to break my self-imposed silence to settle this quarrel. In the original post which Dame Judy questioned {TWICE I believe} the person in question wrote "it was "me" ", in which case the "me" becomes a noun, NOT a pronoun and therefore is perfectly grammatically correct. To change a "me" into an "I" is to pervert the sense of the sentence. If you say "it was "junior", you don't say "no, that's grammatically incorrect". IF someone signs an anonymous post to the BLOG "me" then it is, to me at least, perfectly correct to refer to that person in third person as "me". That's what their name is, as far as is evident to us - or is that "we"?

never pronounal

[insert pithy quote here]
Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx