[Linux-Anyway] Re: Virtual host going through isp

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 16:36:37 -0800 (PST)

  Horror,

> >   Well, I've never mixed networks, & I've never tried getting
> > an internal to access outside.  I've an adsl connection
> > connected to a hub.  Now, all four 'puters with static,
> > external ip's connect through the hup & router (naturally) to
> > my isp's gateway, but when I'd set the 733's ip to 10.0.0.1,
> > it couldn't connect (of course) because it's not a recognised
> > ip (though I should think it would, as it's coming from
> > within my ip's pool of customer ip's....).

> >   Anyway, short of setting up virtual networking on my Linux
> > box & making it a gateway, is there any way to use that
> > internal address & go directly to my isp's gateway in the way
> > these 'puters with external addresses do?

> No. I guess the packets from your machine could reach the
> gateway with proper setup, but the return leg would be
> difficult. Unless you convince your ISP to make a static route
> to a non-routable address, which is ridiculous even to think
> about. Provided that the packets sent back to your machine ever
> reach the Gateway at all, which too is ridiculous to think
> about. Servers would probably answer your requests, but the
> first router these packets hit would drop them no sooner it's
> got them.

  Had a feeling.

> While reading your post, I got a bit confused... Are you mixing
> nets on the same hub?

  Yes.

> This would require the NIC's of other machines to be configured
> with two IP's (one private range net, one public), or at least
> one machine to serve as a gateway to machines running with
> public IP's. Otherwise, no talk.

  Poking round, as mentioned earlier -- I've never done this
before, I'd set the nic on the Linux box to have two ip's, the
static provided by my isp, & 10.0.0.1 (changing the one on the
W2k box to 10.0.0.2).  Don't know what else has to be set, so the
W2k box still won't connect.

> Your setup on the whole doesn't differ much from a standard
> shared dial-up. Pick one machine with a public IP and make it a
> gateway for machines on your private range net.

  Oh, I'm sure it's all very simple, but I must not have been
using the right search criteria, as I'd not found anything very
helpful.

> Just set up Masquerading or a proxy on it, configure "private"
> machines to use it as Gateway, and you're set.

  OK.  I suppose masqing is the way to go....

> If you want not only to access the net, but also to serve
> content from this machine, it can be done as well but
> complicates the matter a bit (and since you already have four
> public IP's and machines capable of handling the load, it would
> be completely pointless).

  Don't know I understand what you mean.  Sure, I want to make
the Linux box a gateway for an internal network, & I would like
(as the Linux box has more hard drive space) to be able to get to
my mp3's.  If need be, I'll take up the space on the W2k box &
http the files over, but would rather not, ya know?

> Out of curiosity: are you doing your own DNS, or having the
> records hosted?

  No, using the isp's.  Why?

> For the sake of completeness, there's also a third private
> address range, 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 which nobody seems
> ever to use, probably because it doesn't belong to a "class".
> Classes aren't in use any more, but they're convenient for
> netmasking, which classless subnetting isn't: I think this
> range is 172.16.0.0/20 in CIDR notation, but I'm not sure (and
> I'm too lazy to calculate now).

  OK.  And the advantage over the other two...?  Is there one?

--
  X windows:
  Accept any substitute.
  If it's broke, don't fix it.
  If it ain't broke, fix it.
  Form follows malfunction.
  The Cutting Edge of Obsolescence.
  The trailing edge of software technology.
  Armageddon never looked so good.
  Japan's secret weapon.
  You'll envy the dead.
  Making the world safe for competing window systems.
  Let it get in YOUR way.
  The problem for your problem.
  If it starts working, we'll fix it.  Pronto.
  It could be worse, but it'll take time.
  Simplicity made complex.
  The greatest productivity aid since typhoid.
  Flakey and built to stay that way.
  One thousand monkeys.  One thousand MicroVAXes.  One thousand
  years.
  X windows.