[Linux-Anyway] Re: Virtual host going through isp

  • From: horrorvacui@xxxxxxx
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:55:12 +0100

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:48:49 -0800 (PST)
Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Well, I've never mixed networks, & I've never tried getting an
> internal to access outside.  I've an adsl connection connected to
> a hub.  Now, all four 'puters with static, external ip's connect
> through the hup & router (naturally) to my isp's gateway, but
> when I'd set the 733's ip to 10.0.0.1, it couldn't connect (of
> course) because it's not a recognised ip (though I should think
> it would, as it's coming from within my ip's pool of customer
> ip's....).
>
>   Anyway, short of setting up virtual networking on my Linux box
> & making it a gateway, is there any way to use that internal
> address & go directly to my isp's gateway in the way these
> 'puters with external addresses do?

No. I guess the packets from your machine could reach the gateway with
proper setup, but the return leg would be difficult. Unless you convince
your ISP to make a static route to a non-routable address, which is
ridiculous even to think about. Provided that the packets sent back to
your machine ever reach the Gateway at all, which too is ridiculous to
think about. Servers would probably answer your requests, but the first
router these packets hit would drop them no sooner it's got them.

While reading your post, I got a bit confused... Are you mixing nets on
the same hub? This would require the NIC's of other machines to be
configured with two IP's (one private range net, one public), or at least
one machine to serve as a gateway to machines running with public IP's.
Otherwise, no talk.

Your setup on the whole doesn't differ much from a standard shared
dial-up. Pick one machine with a public IP and make it a gateway for
machines on your private range net. Just set up Masquerading or a proxy on
it, configure "private" machines to use it as Gateway, and you're set. If
you want not only to access the net, but also to serve content from this
machine, it can be done as well but complicates the matter a bit (and
since you already have four public IP's and machines capable of handling
the load, it would be completely pointless).

Out of curiosity: are you doing your own DNS, or having the records
hosted?

> > >   Also, can someone explain the difference between 10.0.0.1 &
> > > 192.168.1.1 to me?  I've never found the reasons why one
> > > would choose one scheme over the other & would really like to
> > > know.
>
> > 10.0.0.0/8 is a "Class A" subnet with a total of 2^24 (approx
> > 16.7M) IP addresses. 192.168.0.0/16 is a "Class B" subnet with
> > only 2^16 (65536) IP addresses.
>
> > Both are private subnets which aren't routeable outside your
> > LAN. One just allows for more machines than the other. Other
> > than that they both serve the same purpose.
>
>   Ah, is that all.  Thank you.  Now I see.

For the sake of completeness, there's also a third private address range,
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 which nobody seems ever to use, probably
because it doesn't belong to a "class". Classes aren't in use any more,
but they're convenient for netmasking, which classless subnetting isn't: I
think this range is 172.16.0.0/20 in CIDR notation, but I'm not sure (and
I'm too lazy to calculate now).

By the way, Godwin, I think it's 10.0.0.0/24. Sorry about the
hair-splitting, but that's just how I am.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui

Registered Linux user #257714