[Linux-Anyway] Re: Virtual host going through isp

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:03:13 -0800 (PST)

  Horror,

> >   Poking round, as mentioned earlier -- I've never done this
> > before, I'd set the nic on the Linux box to have two ip's,
> > the static provided by my isp, & 10.0.0.1 (changing the one
> > on the W2k box to 10.0.0.2).  Don't know what else has to be
> > set, so the W2k box still won't connect.

> Well, just the masquerade, and w2k is to use the linux box with
> masquerading as gateway. Set up static routes between the
> private address range and your public addresses so all boxes
> can talk to each other too, while you're at it.

  I'll have to look at the masq howto's, as I've only a basic
understanding of what you're talking about.  Give me a
straight-forward ethernet network, & I'm fine.  This is all new
to me.

> > > Just set up Masquerading or a proxy on it, configure
> > > "private" machines to use it as Gateway, and you're set.

> >   OK.  I suppose masqing is the way to go....

> A proxy might be a bit easier to set up and configure.

  Maybe, but I've had nothing but trouble with other people's
proxys.  I think I'll stick to figuring out how to masq.

> Plus, if you want to spy on your family, you get proxy logs,
> and you can set up content filtering to bugger the hell out of
> them too ;-) I'm quite sure any distro has squid packaged. I
> use masquerading, but I've used the SuSE firewall scripts to
> set it up (just changed a no to a yes where it said
> "masquerading"), and don't know how much of a help would I be
> with setting rules that work. From what I've read about it, it
> doesn't seem to be too difficult, it's just adding a firewall
> rule, only I never did it myself.

  Now, now.  Not that worried about their surfing -- it's all
porn.  And you know how particular people can be about their
porn;-).

> >   Don't know I understand what you mean.  Sure, I want to
> > make the Linux box a gateway for an internal network, & I
> > would like (as the Linux box has more hard drive space) to be
> > able to get to my mp3's.  If need be, I'll take up the space
> > on the W2k box & http the files over, but would rather not,
> > ya know?

> I'm talking about running various servers on the private, masqueraded
> network.

  Ah.  Another time for that.  I'm only being charged three
dollars for three of the statics I got from the isp -- the fourth
is free (just 'cause the owner's a nice guy).  While I can
certainly afford another public address, I want to keep, at least
this, Windows box away from yutzes.

> Outward communication works fine (when you're browsing the web
> on the w2k, for instance), but running a server there needs
> additional setup.

  I'll have to take your word for it till I figure out how to do
it....

> Hm, I somehow got entangled into this explanation. Hope you
> understand anything, I barely understand it myself.

  For the most part, sure.  Just don't know how to do it yet;-).

> > > Out of curiosity: are you doing your own DNS, or having the
> > > records hosted?

> >   No, using the isp's.  Why?

> Nothing, just being curious.

  I've installed, this last install, the software, & I plan to
play with it.  All in good time.  It's this idiot job keeping me
from getting things done in any semblance of quickness.

> >   OK.  And the advantage over the other two...?  Is there
> >   one?

> None whatsoever, if you ask me. You either don't need much
> addresses and can go with 192.168/16 (or pick 10/8 because you
> like it), or you do and have to use the 10/8. There might be
> cases where this additional address range comes in handy, but
> otherwise... In your case, you can pick whatever you like, the
> range used is completely irrelevant.

  Cool.  I may be putting more than one box on the private
network later, but for now, just the one.  Thanks.

  Meph

--
  Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead
  of old ones.