[Linux-Anyway] Re: Virtual host going through isp

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:48:49 -0800 (PST)

> >   I finally have another 'puter, running W2k right now,
> > connected to my monitor (a P-III 733;-).  I have only four
> > static ip's, & each is being used, so I wonder, can I use an
> > internal address which uses my isp's gateway instead of
> > having to go through my Linux box with virtual hosting?

> Hmm...

> Not quite sure what you want to do there but I'm sure you'll
> elaborate.

  Well, I've never mixed networks, & I've never tried getting an
internal to access outside.  I've an adsl connection connected to
a hub.  Now, all four 'puters with static, external ip's connect
through the hup & router (naturally) to my isp's gateway, but
when I'd set the 733's ip to 10.0.0.1, it couldn't connect (of
course) because it's not a recognised ip (though I should think
it would, as it's coming from within my ip's pool of customer
ip's....).

  Anyway, short of setting up virtual networking on my Linux box
& making it a gateway, is there any way to use that internal
address & go directly to my isp's gateway in the way these
'puters with external addresses do?

> >   Also, can someone explain the difference between 10.0.0.1 &
> > 192.168.1.1 to me?  I've never found the reasons why one
> > would choose one scheme over the other & would really like to
> > know.

> 10.0.0.0/8 is a "Class A" subnet with a total of 2^24 (approx
> 16.7M) IP addresses. 192.168.0.0/16 is a "Class B" subnet with
> only 2^16 (65536) IP addresses.

> Both are private subnets which aren't routeable outside your
> LAN. One just allows for more machines than the other. Other
> than that they both serve the same purpose.

  Ah, is that all.  Thank you.  Now I see.

  Meph

--
  The joys of love made her human and the agonies of love
  destroyed her.