[Linux-Anyway] Re: A little OT

  • From: "Meph Istopheles" <Meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:43:06 -0700

> >   Thanks.  This is what I'd meant -- run fdisk & wipe
> > the partitons, then make a vfat partition.  I would
> > then boot back into Windows & format it fromt
> > there.

> I'd format it from Linux if I were you.

  Just finsished & ~just~ got this.

> Windows' format.exe can have problems with a
> partition if its bootsector isn't entirely zeroed
> out (in fact Linux' fdisk warns you of that). So
> since you have to do something to it in Linux,
> you might as well format it and have done
> with it:

  Don't remember ever seeing anything about that, but so far so
good.  I'd done the first drive with the formatting from the
install, then a second after I got into W98.  I've just formatted
the final drive (formerly the ext2 I was referring to earlier).
Just gotta run scandisk on it.  If I get errors, I'll boot the
gentoo disk again & format it from there.

> mkdosfs -F 32 -v /dev/hd??

  Hmm.  Don't remember ever seeing "-F 32" in the man file -- &
I've read it a few times in the past.  Anyway, if I need it, I'll
use this command.  Thanks:-).

  Anyway, while I've not checked everything out, I'd played a
random mp3, & it works fine, opened an old mail spool in
WordPad -- it was readable too.  I'll be uploading my site later
today, now my Web host is pointing my domain to one of his
servers instead of mine:-).

  Meph

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux