[Linux-Anyway] Re: A little OT

  • From: Godwin Stewart <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:36:23 +0200

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:23:44 -0700 scripsit Meph Istopheles:

>   Thanks.  This is what I'd meant -- run fdisk & wipe the
> partitons, then make a vfat partition.  I would then boot back
> into Windows & format it fromt there.

I'd format it from Linux if I were you.

Windows' format.exe can have problems with a partition if its bootsector
isn't entirely zeroed out (in fact Linux' fdisk warns you of that). So since
you have to do something to it in Linux, you might as well format it and
have done with it:

mkdosfs -F 32 -v /dev/hd??

(obviously replace hd?? with the real partition you're working on)

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx -- gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)