[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Table of human readable tables.

  • From: "Michael Whapples" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mwhapples@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 13:55:33 +0100

I personally would like special comment lines in the files to provide metadata for the table. However one thing by doing that you would need to be careful about is to have it that a table could define itself as support only (IE. it is there for including in other tables, should never be directly used).

I would prefer the self contained table with metadata as it would mean the list is dynamically created by software and thus there is no table list to get out of sync with the files available. Should the user just add a file the software hopefully would just pick this up and immediately have the information.

May be liblouis could even provide some functions to help construct these lists.

Michael Whapples
On 04/06/2014 13:46, Christian Egli wrote:
On 06/04/2014 02:44 AM, James Teh wrote:
This idea is not new. I and others have discussed this at length in the
past. There are a few problems off the top of my head:
1. Renaming files will break any existing users of liblouis.
2. The concepts associated with multiple codes (grades,
contracted/uncontracted, computer braille, etc.) aren't standard across
all codes. For example, in English, there is computer braille, grade 1
(uncontracted) and grade 2 (contracted). However, as I understand it,
some codes have more than two "grades" and grade 1 and 2 aren't
necessarily uncontracted and contracted, respectively. English has two
computer braille tables (6 dot and 8 dot). In order for such
standardisation to be useful, it needs to take all of this into account.
3. A table probably needs to specify exactly what languages and
countries it is used in. For example, UEB isn't truly unified because it
isn't used in all English speaking countries. I imagine there are some
country specific codes that are actually used in other countries.

Despite all the problems I like the list that Greg made and maybe it could be the start to some pragmatic solution. One that might not cover all corner cases but that could maybe serve the common needs (btw what are these? Is this just about nice names in some GUI?)

Also if you look at older tables there seems to be some kind of convention to start a table with the following line:

# liblouis: Generic Arabic Grade 1 table

I don't know if this convention should be resurrected and extended.