[liblouis-liblouisxml] Table of human readable tables.

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 14:29:39 -0700

Would everyone look over this list of human readable table name please. If I
have left something out that should be in there please make a comment to me or
to the document itself. I only included tables that would be used to do
translations and not support files.

I would add that it might be a good idea to harmonize the file name at some
point. I realize that in many cases one file calls another but it would seem to
be a good idea to consider. At the same time a standard header could be
included to be able to reach the human readable names, grade number, language
and so on something like this:

# eng; 2; English UEB Contracted

The first column is the ISO 639-2 Code
(http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php) second column is the
grade (0,1,2,3) of braille the third column is the human readable name.In this
way a computer program could look at the first line of all the tables, .ctb
files, and work out list of all of them for a particular language, grade of
braille or build a menu of human readable names.

Files would be renamed as follows: eng-ueb-g1.ctb

All translation tables will start with the ISO 639-2 Code followed by either a
code identifier in the case of unified language codes as are found in English
and French or the national 2 letter code
(http://www.spoonfork.org/isocodes.html) for example Swedish would be
swe-sv-g1.ctb this would address a situation such as exists in German with two
Braille code systems one for Germany itself and one used in Switzerland they
would be ger-de-g1.ctb and ger-ch-g1.ctb

just a thought.

Commonwealth Braille & Talking Book Cooperative
Greg Kearney, General Manager
605 Robson Street, Suite 850
Vancouver BC V6B 5J3
CANADA