[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: LGPL license

  • From: Bert Frees <bertfrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 21:15:07 +0200

Hello John,

Looking at the hyphenation code it seems that large parts of it were
copied from the project Hyphen (from OpenOffice), although that origin
is not mentioned anywhere, I wonder if we should do that.

The Hyphen project is licensed under GPL 2.0, LGPL 2.1 and MPL 1.1. This
is from the COPYING file:

    GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1/MPL 1.1 tri-license

    The contents of this software may be used under the terms of
    the GNU General Public License Version 2 or later (the "GPL"), or
    the GNU Lesser General Public License Version 2.1 or later (the "LGPL",
    see COPYING.LGPL) or the Mozilla Public License Version 1.1 or later
    (the "MPL", see COPYING.MPL).

    The Plain TeX hyphenation tables "hyphen.tex" by Donald E. Knuth
    has a non MPL/LGPL compatible license, but freely redistributable:
    "Unlimited copying and redistribution of this file are permitted as long
    as this file is not modified. Modifications are permitted, but only if
    the resulting file is not named hyphen.tex."

    Software distributed under these licenses is distributed on an "AS IS"
basis,
    WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the licences
    for the specific language governing rights and limitations under the
licenses.

The hyphenation tables included in liblouis don't originate from Hyphen,
my guess is that most of them were copied from OpenOffice. I don't know
what the license is of those files.

Thanks,
Bert