[LRflex] Re: a mildly interesting read on Stock Photo Market

  • From: George Lottermoser <imagist3@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 15:29:42 -0500

On Jul 25, 2011, at 3:11 PM, David Young wrote:

> Ah ha!  So you too, are retarded  (er, retired) these days.  I had
> suspected you might have been a pro... it shows in the photos you post.
>
> I don't always comment, but I look at every photo posted, by every member
> of this list.
>
> Yours, are always superb.
>
> My only advice to you, George, is "don't stop now!"

I'd call it semi-retarded (retired).
I have been self-employed all but 2 years of my adult (post college) life.
And continue to do work for a number of small clients;
with occasional single projects coming through.
But the heyday of significant corporate clients, magazine work
and significant gallery representation and print sales
has slipped away.

I've implemented numerous business plans and models over the last 15 years;
though none have blossomed into those good old days
when I employed 3 assistants and a sales rep.

It was the mid-nineties that first began to pull the rug out from under
freelance photographers and designers.
When digital put the film strippers, typographers, graphic designers, and
photographers on notice
by allowing a product manager's assistant to put together a "brochure" that
looked "okay."
Once you could buy a professionally designed brochure template freelance took
another hit.
Once you could buy a professionally produced photograph for $.05 on a CD
collection of 100…
Once you could buy a corporate identity logo for $10 on line…
ad nauseum

I get 10 offers a month from India to do "web and graphic design" work for
$10/hour.
That will not pay for rent and computer hardware and software maintenance here.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.imagist.com