[LRflex] Re: The DMR as a Collectible.

  • From: "Tim Bedsted" <Tim.Bedsted@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 20:18:26 +0100

David
And zero income on the R-line, which used to bring in around 30 % of revenue
for 2 years! Wow, talk about optimizing your business. To go to the extreme why
not discontinue everything?

/T

To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRflex] Re: The DMR as a Collectible.

Tim Bedsted wrote to Andy:

>You are spot on, the "only" reason to buy a R9 is to mate it to the DMR, =
>so with the DMR gone, they will have a camera series with "zero" sales =
>for 2 years. The logical conclusion must be a) they are in the process =
>of discarding the R series, in order to focus entirely on the M line 2) =
>or the R10 is much closer to launch than we think

Tim: If I may comment:

 From what I, and others, were led to believe, in Solms/Wetzlar, is
that the R-10 is very much "alive" as a project, but that work did
not start on it until after the M8 was finalized.  The next Photokina
was implied as the date of introduction - that's late September, 08.

It is  possible, however, that what we were told was not entirely the
truth.  (Actually, if the R10 were closer, it would please me, just fine!)

There is another possibility.  We know that the R9 was languishing in
sales, before the DMR came along. We also know that they have not
actually produced an R9 for some considerable time, as there was not
need, as they had a warehouse full of them, when the DMR was finally
introduced.

It is, I think, instructive to note that on Leica's memo, currently
being circulated on the web, they do not use the word
"discontinued".  They use the words "sold out", and acknowledge that
there will be no more.  It may be that the DMR has achieved it's
purpose ... it has given people reason to buy an R9 and has cleaned
out the warehouse.  Then, once the DMR is, itself, sold out - there
is no real need for more.  In this scenario, it would leave Leica
without an SLR (digital or film) until the R10 is introduced.  But,
better that, than no sales and a warehouse full of R9s!

Just some thoughts...

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: Tim Bedsted.vcf
-- Desc: Tim Bedsted.vcf