[LRflex] Re: The DMR as a Collectible.

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 18:23:10 -0800

At 08/02/2007, you wrote:
>Hello David,
>
>Hmmm... This film vs. digital cost thing has always struck
>me as a bogus argument. They really ARE two different
>media, although I'll go along with your cost of processing.
>$20- is about right for pro film, prints and pro high-res
>400 dpi jpegs which print to 11"x17" no problem off an Agfa
>processor/scanner.
>
>I shoot 50 - 100 rolls/ year, depending on spare time and travel.
>Mainly I use M's and use an SL only for macro. I don't need to
>shoot a lot of film as my hit rate is pretty high. Unsolicited picture
>sales paid for all my film costs in 2006.
>
>BTW, the way I see it, one killer shot pays for a new lens. :-)
>And how much does the travel cost?
>
>If you are a pro, shooting events or lingerie, you can write off
>the digital gear in 3 - 5 years no problem. Are you a pro? Digital
>is ideal for this stuff.
>
>What it can't easily do is this
><http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lambroving/Miscellany/MOG-2006/LUG242.jpg.html>
>
>or this.
><http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lambroving/Miscellany/Steamtown/LUG255.jpg.html>
>
>They really ARE two different media. Can we agree on that?!
>
>Regards,
>
>William

We certainly can, William!   I was not trying to push the old film vs
digi argument. I was simply stating how the math works out for me,
since I switched from film to digi.

Film will, indeed, do things that digi can't.  And vice versa.

I have some negs, scanned at 4000dpi so that's 4000x6000 or 24
million pixels.  They are spectacular!  Until digi can match that in
a 35mm sized sensor, it will not match film for fine details.

OTOH, film at ISO 1600 and 3200 is bloody terrible.  And I shoot
wildlife, often in the shade, with an f6.8 Telyt and 2x
converter.  That's f`13.6 wide open!  Even on a sunny day, ISO 400
film is "touch and go" for much of what I do.  The noise in the DMR
at such ISOs is better than the grain in any film I've ever used, at
such speeds. It is for this reason that I switched to digital, and
I'll likely never look back.

Still, I live in hope that the mythical, magical R10 will appear with
an 18 to 20 megapixel sensor (Full frame or APS - doesn't matter to
me) and better auto white balance than the DMR. If they can build
that in an R8 sized body (without winder or DMR attached) , I'm in!

All that being said ... I have 12x18" digi prints on the wall, which
most folks cannot tell from film.

Different strokes...

To answer your last question... no, I'm not a pro.  I'm a retired
stereo store owner.