Re: malfunctioning M6 meter

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 18:43:21 -0700

Oliver:
My first M7 died a few years ago when I was photographing in Bodie and the Mono Basin. I had it replaced under warranty.

The eastern Sierra may have some kind of Leica hex that disables newer cameras - my 1954 M3 functioned fine on that occasion.

At 01:19 PM 7/8/2005, you wrote:

After 5 days of photographing in the high Sierra, the meter in my non-TTL
M6/0.85 is not functioning properly. The right triangle stays lit regardless
of the shutter speed and f-stop combination. Both triangles blink when I cap
the lens. Changing the battery does not affect this behavior. I did not
change the ISO setting when changing film.
Is this a common malfunction? Is there any diagnostic and/or remedy short of
returning the M6 to Leica?
TIA, Oliver

Mark Bohrer
Mountain and Desert Photography
www.mountain-and-desert.com
Subscribe to my free newsletter for wildlife photo tips and print discounts!