Whitewater on West Virginia's New River

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: paw@xxxxxxxxxxxx, DUG@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 18:18:02 -0700

Despite its name, West Virginia's New River is at least 3 million years old. The river provides class V rapids for rafters and kayakers. The longest arched bridge in the Western Hemisphere spans it.

Drive through undulating valleys between green mountains in this humid land of the Hatfields and McCoys and you'll understand why it's an outdoor playground. Coal once was king here. Men still work a few remaining mines, bent over as they waddle through four-foot high tunnels and set charges to blow the coal free.

I enjoyed last week in the company of new friends in this beautiful place. Here's what you might see as you stumble out of your tent to go to the bathroom at 6AM: http://tinyurl.com/7p4sc

A walk in Babcock State Park led us to the site of a narrow gauge railroad for hauling coal. Now it's a hiking trail:
http://tinyurl.com/csrgp We hiked past mossy tree trunks surrounded by lush green: http://tinyurl.com/c39wk

I also visited Fayetteville and enjoyed the slow pace in this small town: http://tinyurl.com/djng5 http://tinyurl.com/ckqb7

West Virginia rains help fill the river I was going to raft. The New River Gorge Bridge spans the river and shortens a 45-minute crossing to about a minute. You can see this view near the New River Gorge National River Canyon Rim Visitor Center: http://tinyurl.com/bdmcz

Outside the visitor's center, song sparrows like this guy might greet you: http://tinyurl.com/aszb9

Drive down to the old bridge and you're rewarded with views of the new bridge, completed in the 70s: http://tinyurl.com/8ccft

Rafters drift under both bridges: http://tinyurl.com/bgsmv

I joined them on my last day (this photo by Adventures Mountain River): http://tinyurl.com/bpwjl
I'm the guy with the white mustache in the middle, and my girlfriend to my right wears the red helmet. This trip was her idea, and I'm very glad she talked me into it.

Kayakers also ride the rapids: http://tinyurl.com/b8ebw
They sometimes get pretty close to the rafters: http://tinyurl.com/cqgd9
Click here for more river sports pics: http://tinyurl.com/bmuyc

There was some last-day whimsey from the group I camped and rafted with. They call themselves the Gravy Sucking Pigs: http://tinyurl.com/89dmo (Leica M7, 50mm Summilux)

The flight home provided a fourth of July lightshow across America. Here's a view from the air, south of Chicago's O'Hare Airport (Leica M7, 2nd version 50mm Summilux at f/1.4): http://tinyurl.com/7cpp7

All comments welcome.

Mark Bohrer
Mountain and Desert Photography
www.mountain-and-desert.com
Subscribe to my free newsletter for wildlife photo tips and print discounts!