Re: malfunctioning M6 meter

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:06:22 -0700

At 03:49 PM 7/8/2005, Ted Bayer wrote:

I have a similar problem with my M6 Classic - and am wondering what is going on. In my case, I push down on the shutter release and instead of engaging the metering (when the little red lights are supposed to go on) they either flicker or don't show at all. I changed to fresh batteries but found it didn't help. It feels like the shutter release just bypasses whatever it is that turns the exposure meter lights on and goes all the way down and trips the shutter.

After I removed the film, I did a dry run (no film) maybe twenty times and at different shutter speeds and found that it was working as it should.

Anyone have an idea of the problem or what is causing it?

Thanks,

Ted

Dirty contacts on the shutter release mechanism. The camera top has to come off in order to clean them. Many times just working the release, up and down, will temporarily clean them, but the problem will be back. Time for a CLA.

Jim