Re: looking for a lighter tripod

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 19:09:00 -0700

Oliver:
I have lower back trouble so I usually use one of two lightweight tripods. My workhorse is the Gitzo 1325 Mk II carbon fiber model. It extends to eye level without any wobbly center post. I've used it in deep mud, marshes and high-altitude cold and it's been great. I also use a Gitzo 1127 carbon fiber model for extreme light weight when I'm not using big lenses for wildlife. The legs of both these tripods can be locked at any of three angles to adjust height above the ground.

In France a few years ago I used a Gitzo 01 Weekend, a small metal tripod that forces you to bend over a bit but weighs very little. It let me get shots like these in Paris http://tinyurl.com/4l8gm and Aix-en-Provence: http://tinyurl.com/bdzke

I use an Arca Swiss B1 ballhead with Wimberley Sidekick on the 1325 when I shoot wildlife and take the Sidekick out of the B1 for everything else. A Kirk BH3 ballhead lives on the 1127 - the head weighs 20 ounces. I don't know about other lightweight head types.

At 03:01 PM 7/8/2005, you wrote:

For medical reasons I need to find a much lighter tripod without sacrificing
camera stability. Each of my two field tripods - an ancient Tiltall and a
5-year old Bogen Manfrotto - weighs about 7 pounds including a 3-axis head
with reasonably long handles. (I do not like to use a ballhead.)
Each tripod extends high enough to bring an M6 to eye level when needed;
neither has a cranked center post.
The Tiltall's legs spread at only one angle. Each of the Manfrotto's legs
can be locked at one of 3 angles, and the clamp-type leg extension locks are
much more suitable for working in sand than the Tiltall's twist locks.
I shall be grateful for suggestions and/or recommendations based on personal
experience.
Oliver

Mark Bohrer
Mountain and Desert Photography
www.mountain-and-desert.com
Subscribe to my free newsletter for wildlife photo tips and print discounts!