[kismac] Re: Signal strength

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 18:14:44 +0100

At 12:05 AM +0800 2006-03-02, Robin L Darroch wrote:

 Another reason to make it optional... but it really doesn't matter how
 each card does in different computers: if KisMAC just auto-ranges based
 on the strongest and weakest signals recieved by that adapter on that
 computer, then each user gets their own appropriate 1-100 scale, where
 100="strongest I've ever seen" and 1="weakest I've ever seen while
 still seeing something".

Problem is, whatever numbers KisMac generates, people are going to use to try to compare against something else. If those numbers are purely self-referential and not baselined against anything else, then it is totally useless to try to compare the numbers in question. As such, I think it would be much less useful to generate those kinds of numbers at all.

Yes, you want to auto-scale the graphics to whatever the highest number is that you've seen during this session, but that's no reason to auto-scale the numbers themselves to a totally arbitrary value.

If you could find a reliable way to scale to dBm across hardware and drivers, that would be a different matter.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755