[kismac] Re: Status of AtherosDriver/AtheroJack

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 18:29:00 +0100

Hi,

As I have no working card which supports injection I'm interested to work on this issue. Currently my KEXT skills are in a beginners stage but ...

My favorite chipset is the Atheros since I use it in Linux-boxes with a recent madwifi-ng driver.

As far as I have seen there are two Atheros drivers in the KisMACng source? The one used by KisMAC is the AtheroJack, based on OpenHAL and only usable for passive scanning without injection. The other one is AtheroJack, a full network driver, based on the closed source HAL as used in madwifi, but not working for the moment and therefore not integrated in KisMAC. Right?

What is the current intent? Should AtheroJack get replaced by AtherosDriver if at least passive mode is working? What are the pros and cons of OpenHAL and the closed one? Is allready someone working in this?

atherosdriver is the older one. the pro of the openhal is, that it does not crash that often =/.... the binary hal is VERY buggy. no one currently working.

mick