[kismac] Re: Signal strength

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:07:59 +0800

To do that we'd have to develop a database of comparative strengths - which would be pretty rough at best... but perhaps that's worth doing? I can tabulate Airport Extreme active vs. DWL-122 and Airport Extreme passive vs. DWL-122... but only if the consensus is that it's worth doing.

Or, if Kismac would "scale" it so it was consistent across adapters?

On 2/27/06, Geoffrey Kruse <<mailto:gkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>gkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think this may be dependent on the driver.  For example, my usb
card seems to have a range of 0 to 40 while my airport extreme seems
to have a range of 0 to 100.  It would be nice if we used something
more standard like dbm.

Geoff
On Feb 27, 2006, at 7:58 AM, Mike Williams wrote:

 Hi,
 in KisMAC and other WiFi apps there is the "Signal"-strength-
 number. From which number to which number does this go?
 The highest number I've seen was 101. Most networks are about 61
 and some are 31 or so.
 What is the smallest and the highest number that could appear?

 Regards

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx