[JA] Re: Corrupted mailbox??

  • From: J�rel DD Arbaugh <computerist@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, no-tag-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 12:50:04 PDT

}Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 14:23:15 -0500
}Subject: [JA] Corrupted mailbox??
}From: George W Hurless

}?Question? what would cause a single Juno account to be corrupted? (I
}have more than one. They are ok)

        All too many things.  And with juno 5, there is no easy fix!

}Problem; Since the 31st, when I open this account a message box states :
}Juno is verifying your e mail folders, please wait.
}The next message reads : Juno has detected a technical problem with your
}mailbox and was able to repair it. The messages which are affected by
}this problem were marked "unread" and placed in a new folder called
}'restored 8/1/2001'.

        That was the last date that you did this, not an unchanging date,
right?

}I press the *ok* button then a message box states: Unspecified error,
}message 533-0044, (which is an old phone number).

        That should not be a phone number...

}I press the *ok* button on that box & Juno shuts down.

        OOPS!

}This is ver. 5.0.33

        As I said, juno 5 is the most vulnerable, in that the only fix
can be to kill off all of the messages, and they are all in one hugh
folder!

}In the user folder, the sub folder Restore shows no files.
}The user folder shows 2 mailboxes, 1 is an ATR file, the other is a BDB
}file.
}I *think* all my message files are in the BDB file which is 47meg in
size
}& my incoming mailbox is in the ATR file which is 1.7meg??

        I do not know that much about J5 internals, but...

}I'm going to try a "mime2frm" conversion from the hard drive folder
}files, don't think it will work, but no harm trying.

        That needs to read from a folder extracted using the highlight
all messages, then save to text file method.  It has no knowledge as to
how to read j5 folders directly.  Sorry!

}Any ideas on what could have caused the problem??

        Almost anything!  This is why it is best for these folders to be
separate files, as in all versions before juno 5!  They should have
learned their lesson from one of the bugs in the beta versions of 5!
Most likely, some corrupted message triggered some thing that caused juno
to corrupt its message base.  Be sure that you have at least a hundred
megs of free space on that drive, before you try again.  (YUCK!)
--
| Computerist.    This user is located in California.  It is a violation
of California law to send unsolicited commercial mail to this user.
---