[JA] Re: Back to version 4

  • From: George H Lunt <glunt@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:56:06 -0700

Found this tucked away...  apparently unsent...   guess I could have been
confused by ALL the List traffic lately...  anyway, maybe it's better
late than never...

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 geoffrey l wilson <glw4-accmail@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>I was using version 4, but somehow allowed my machine
>to get the version 5 upgrade.  How can I go back to
>version4 and still be able to keep the satuff that
>I've accumulated in various folders?

Hi Geoffrey, and All,

When you say you want to go back to Juno v4, and yet still be able to
keep the stuff you've accumulated with v5, do you mean that you need to
get your v5 folders and mail Imported into v4, or would just keeping the
mail from all the folders around in a text format be enough?  Even if you
couldn't really tell where one folder stopped and another began?  But all
would still searchable in a word processor?  If you think you could live
with the latter, you could always make a copy of the mailbox.bdb file in
your Userxxxx directory...  naming the copy, say, mailbox.doc will cause
it to open in Word...  mailbox.txt in Wordpad if it's not too big...
And you can, of course, just change the file extension rather than making
a copy, but, of course, you run the usual risks of ending up with a
damaged mail database, so that's up to you.  Anyway, you might just want
to do a little experimenting before you go to all the trouble of getting
the v5 mail back into v4 using MIME2FRM...  which is available through
the Autobot.  To retrieve the Index to the Autobot, send a message to
autobot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  with  send index  as the subject.

Also, the mime2frm  readme file, readme.txt, will tell you the first step
in moving is to Export your messages by opening a folder, highlighting
ALL messages within it, then starting a "Forward" message, but not
sending it.  Instead, use "File/Export to a text message" to get the
Folder full of messages exported as a single text message.  This may also
be good enough for your needs.

George Lunt ..... so. cal.