[jhb] Re: Ernie

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 18:19:10 +0100

I hope we may not lose touch with Ernie entirely but it will be entirely in
their hands - so fingers crossed.

One of my European pilots at Noble Air was a great chap called Walther
Nevelling. Walter was German but had perfect command of English and a really
good sense of humour as well. He was also an excellent FS pilot and I spoke
to him more than most other Noble aircrew - other than Mike and Ken Jude. It
was an earlier era so I apologise if these names mean nothing to you.

I got to know quite a lot about Walther  - later posts talked about his
daughter and her getting married and moving to the USA. A few months later
he was excited because he was going over to the US to see them. A day or so
before he was due to fly over I had a terribly sad email from his wife
saying he had passed away..

The really sad things is that you can't phone, you can't write and you can't
pop round to pay your respects. The Internet is superb at making us a global
community but it also throws up headaches at a more personal level. We tend
to forget this in our daily banter..