RE: Off topic Longhorn preview!

  • From: "jim grimsby" <jimgrims@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 15:33:48 -0700

Hi,

gene think your miss understanding the instructions on jfw lite.

or maybe i am.

i do not think they  make a windows boot disk using the m s operating=20
system, no they install windows using a vbatch operation using a dos
floppy.
No they use a floppy with the xp boot disk with the batch install
script.=20
at least that was my impression.

or they use a program like nero to create a windows boot disk.
This can also be done.  I have herd on this list in the past where
people have done this with jfw and it worked fine.  Also people have
used usb hard drives to do the same thing.=20
I my self have never had the need to do this but I understand it can be
done.=20

the ability to install windows using a batch operation has been around a

long time but suspect its more complicated than say using a backup
program=20
in dos.
Nope it is quite easy.  I do it here all the time. =20

its also  some what complicated to make a boot disk using burning
packages. especially if you need to add the driver to the cd rom for
your sound card.
Why I just read the directions it looks fairly easy.=20

by default xp only supports i think the 5.1creative labs  drivers.

if they where serious about blind access they would include drivers for
all=20
the creative cards.
Now here again you miss understand.  Creative is the one who has not
provided the drivers to ms. Not the other way around. =20
Many other sound cards are also supported. =20

when you realize how old the creative labs 5.1 sound card is its pretty=20
amazing that audagy 1 and 2 drivers are not also included.
There again they have not provided these drivers to ms for inclution.
Ms can not include drivers unless they are provided with out violating
lissons agreements. =20
Now we can make an argument for open source here and the gpl but ms and
windows bassed programs are not open source or free. =20

still this brings one to a interesting point, narrator is a good
edition.

in the past m s could have argued that creating a software speech=20
solutionin safe mode  was to complicated, making sure that

it would work with numerous screen readers to big a task.

with narrator now present though m s could at least design the o s so
that=20
narrator worked in safe mode so we could use system restore to roll back
.

also the ability to use  narrator for common trouble shooting task only=20
performed in safe mode.

so m s would have total control over all the parts of the operation.

then jfw and other screen readers could do their own thing to make them=20
work in safe mode as well.

if the screen reader failled to do so at least one could have some
access=20
using narrator.
The hole point of safe mode is that it is safe.  Just enough if loaded
to allow the system to boot.  All your other drivers witch might be
causing the problem do not load.  That is the hole point.  The more
drivers you load in safe mode the more chances you have of it not
working.  It is not really a good idea even though it would give us
access to have all these drivers loading. =20
If these issues bother you as much as they seem to I think you might
want to take a look at linux.  It does not have these problems at all
and is a better operating system.  Gui access how ever is not where it
is in windows yet.  But command line access is much better even then it
was in dos. =20