Re: JFW or JFW Pro

  • From: "Gary King" <w4wkz@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 12:18:04 -0500

Peter,

Freedom Scientific has always had a standard and a pro version of JAWS, and the
only difference has been, and still is, in the authorization.  For the pro
authorization and for an SMA you have to pay more.

I've never heard that FS has tried to justify this marketing strategy publicly,
and really they don't need to as long as it works for them.  They calculate
that businesses who hire JAWS users and vocational rehab agencies who purchase
JAWS for clients who are going into employment will pay the higher cost for the
pro version of JAWS.  GW Micro once had 2 versions of Window-Eyes, but they now
have only one version that works with all versions of XP and Vista.  Of course,
the lower priced version of Window-Eyes was the one that disappeared from the
market.  However, Window-Eyes still sells for less than the pro version of
JAWS.  I haven't checked lately to find out the cost of upgrading from the
standard version of JAWS to the pro version, but I'm sure it's cheaper than
changing screen readers.  So, if you want the additional functionality that
comes with Vista Business or Vista Ultimate, you will just have to bite the
bullet and pay the price.

Gary King
w4wkz@xxxxxxxx