Re: Can Jaws slow down your computer?

  • From: JSiskCSA@xxxxxxx
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:53:31 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/2006 2:31:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jtorres6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I've been using Jaws for 8 years now  and I've had 2 computers both of them
have always been slow. Can Jaws bee the  reason?
Jeanette

Dear Jeanette

JAWS is a memory HOG.  I am running a hp Pavillion laptop with JAWS  and
upgraded to 2GB RAM.  That seems to have cured the "Hog's" memory  appetite.

Also, and I've never had a problem with this, run regular disk cleanup with
either the Windows utility or Norton.  Plus, if necessary, run defrag with
Windows utility or Norton.  In addition, delete your temporary internet  files
and cookies on a regular basis, as this will make your internet a tad  faster
too.  Keep as only those icons on your desktop for  applications you run.  If
you haven't run a particular  application in atleast 4 months, delete the icon.
 It can always be  put back later if needed.

Also make sure your video card has enough on board memory for it's  use.
This will cut down on your video taking system memory.

When it all boils down, you want to give JAWS as much elbow room to operate
as possible.

John