Re: Block Quote, on or off

  • From: "Francis Daniels" <fdaniels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 10:03:41 -0800

Hi Daniel,

When you are on a Google result page, some of the results will be indented,
indicating they are related to the result above them.  For example, I am
looking for "crockpot" as my search request.

This is what you get on the first page:

Crockpot Recipes - More than 1400 Crockpot Recipes for the Crock ... The
crockpot recipes index has over 1400 recipes for appetizers, beef, ground
beef, chicken and turkey, pork, desserts, vegetables.
      southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm - 33k - Cached -
Similar pages

  Slow Cooker Apple Butter Crockpot apple butter recipe made with
applesauce. ... Crockpot Recipes - More than 1400 Crockpot Recipes for the
C...Top Chicken CasserolesCrockpot Recipes ...
        southernfood.about.com/od/ crockpotdessertrecipes/r/bl97c3.htm -
30k - Cached - Similar pages
        [ More results from southernfood.about.com ]

The first item lists crockpot recipes.  The one below is indented, with JAWS
saying block quote start Slow Cooker Apple Butter..."  The second item is
related to the one above, but not related to the one below it.  The block
quote here is helpful as it lets you know how the page is prepared.

Yes, you could turn off block quote announcements and let it read the page.
But Google took the time to arrange the page so you would know why these
listings are arranged in the way they do.

In Google's About Google section, there's a nice explanation as to how to
interpret the results page.  You can find it here:
http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/interpret.html.

Francis "All I know if life I learned through Googling" Daniels