Re: Block Quote, on or off

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:54:13 -0800

Bill,
I get your point, and Francis's explanation helped, also.  I feel I have
to explain that, though I'm a partial (high, low, I don't know where the
line is), I can't clearly see a Web page in the way you describe, because
the part of my retinal function that's gone includes the macula, though the
blind area (the "scotoma," to use the correct term) extends outward much
farther toward the far peripheries of my retinas.  So What I see appears to
be a full screen view of the world, so to speak, but lacking a lot of
details including people's faces (the head simply blanks out completely when
I look straight at it), the actual details of a web page, and so forth.  The
view is something like an unfinished or blotchy version of a French
Impressionist canvas.  So even though I see my monitor right in front of me,
when I look directly at the screen, it's just a play of light and shadow.
Looking away from it, I can see out of the corner of my eye that there are
more details, but if I look directly again, it all blurs again.  Just to
help you understand that I'm using Jaws much more like a total than a high
partial, even though I have a lot of useful vision for getting around, until
the peripheral edges shut down, too.

Anyway, I'm glad we got into this topic because I wouldn't have thought to
inquire this deeply into the feature, and besides, Francis  contributed a
couple of links to truly educational material that will enhance my
understanding of Jaws beyond the relative mastery, or at least facility,
that I think of myself as having.
Daniel