Re: Block Quote, on or off

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:52:37 -0800

Just one more, for clarification:

I suddenly understand, Bill, that when you've been talking about using your
peripheral vision in order to see or read something, you don't *mean* by
looking away from the object of your interest, which would describe the way
we normally think of the uses of our peripheral vision.  As I'm sure you're
aware, and in fact assuming me to know, too, the great majority of the
photoreceptors in our retinas fall into an area that's called "peripheral,"
not just meaning the very outside edges of our visual fields, the way most
people imagine.  There's the mid-peripheral area of our visual field, and
there's the far peripheral area, which is what most people are thinking of
when they hear the word.

So you're talking about looking directly at something and, if it's big
enough and there's enough contrast, being able to more or less see it with
your peripheral vision.  This would apply to me, too.  If I were to install
a screen magnification program like what I started with when I became
legally blind (my condition is progressive), then I'd have to blow up the
text on this email so large that only a couple of characters would fit on
the screen, and change the colors to white on black for contrast, and *then*
I could "see" (meaning, then my remaining rod photoreceptor cells could
perceive) those characters.  But of course, this isn't realistic and
generally practical.  But it's in that sense that you're referring to seeing
directly ahead with your non-central vision, isn't it.  Well, a little of
that peripheral vision is all I've got left, out at the far edges that most
people actually imagine to be "peripheral vision." so you can imagine the
visual effect I described.  Full screen but blotchy and vague and with
things missing all over the place that would reappear right in front of me
if my macular vision was suddenly turned back on.

Ah, this is a poignant topic.  Loss, compensation, relinquishment.  But I'm
done, for my part.  I've enjoyed the exchange.
Daniel