[jewel] Curious on progress and intent of the Obj-C fork of Jewel...

  • From: thisguyisi <thisguyisi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jewel-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 18:27:05 -0700

Hello,

Just wondering what is going on with the Obj-C side of the project. I
like some of the ideas, seems like a good thing to have a range of
GNUstep WMs: WindowMaker is great because it mimics NeXT's window
manager, and is C, so it doesn't Require Obj-C. Interface WM is a good
progression since it seems to be a more ambitious feature-oriented
project than WindowMakers "strict" adherence to NeXT's WM... with some
of the tabbed window ideas of AEWM/Jewel being kicked around
currently... and Jewel, which seems to be AEWM rewritten in Obj-C, a
"light-weight" window manager is always going to be desirable for
low-spec machines. I know there is additionally WOOM which is a project
that seems designed to port WindowMaker to Obj-C code from C/WINGs...

It would be interesting and probably a swell idea if all of the
GNUstep-oriented window manager project shared code for
consistency/modularity and a lessening of abberent/unintuitive
implementation. Since AEWM/Jewel already seems to have the tabbed window
code down pat, it would be cool to see your project collaborate with
Interface WM on their tabbed window code and come to some kind of
"ideal", plus give you guys working on this project more people with a
similar project goal to bounce ideas off of and maybe accelerate project
development.

Just my personal opinion, besides I thought I would contribute an idea
or two rather than just lurk and see what the project was up to.

-thisguyisi