[iyonix-support] Re: Work around for Pyjamas problem

  • From: MrJTGibbs <trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:46:41 GMT

In message <452210944e.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> In message <nTSLhKAAfdfFpw7a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Peter derwent <egroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>>In common with so many other users, continuously since then I have
>>>suffered the pyjamas effect erratically averaging at approximately one
>>>in every four occasions when first powered up.
>>>As the only answer seems to be to clear it with reset, for the last
>>>month I have pressed reset immediately after switching on as a normal
>>>procedure, which is no hardship.
>> I used to have this problem but now when I start up, I hold in the power
>> button until I hear the disc being accessed, and then I release it.
>> Since I have done this I have never had the pyjamas effect (over a
>> period of several months).
>
> I have been using the same method since the summer and can confirm
> that it improves matters. However, it is not 100%. Since the weather
> turned colder I have been getting pyjamas once a week despite holding
> the button until after the second set of hard disc clunks.
> (it used to be happen most days)

I am sorry that I seem to have triggered that rambling discussion
again about power up tricks that work for some people but not others.
I tried all suggestions without success over past months.

I took on board the message that a reset always? put things right.
But waiting with baited breath to see if I needed to do that - was a
pain!

Why it took me so long to spot the obvious I don't know, but until we
hear that even this creates problems for some, surely anyone plagued
by the pyjamas problem, would do well to do as I do:
Always follow pressing the ON button by pressing RESET! It is a simple
fool proof habit to get into.

If there is a problem it would be explaining why I do it. But then I
don't know enough.

--
Trevor Gibbs