[iyonix-support] Re: Shutdown-Restart

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 19:04:53 +0100

In article <71a809f84e.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David J. Ruck
<druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 24 Jun 2007 Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> How did you then power it down? Did you use the switch at the back?

The machine is an Aria with a soft power switch on the front panel on
the right and a reset button on the left. See further comments below.

> If I've accidentally hit the prompt instead of shutting down I
> usually ctrl+break to reset and go back to the desktop to shutdown
> again properly. However ctrl+break sometimes (usually after as
> crash) doesn't do a successful reset and hangs although at least
> once I've had a similar disc error from it. The solution is
> usually to perform a reset using the reset button rather than
> ctrl+break.

Thanks for that information David. CTRL-Break after accidentally hitting the
F12 key works. Exactly as you have stated machine re-boots the desktop as I
wanted. This is worth knowing but I hope I don't have to use it to often :-)

[snip]

> Once after using the switch at the back to turn off I had a bit of
> difficulty getting it to boot up again, the power light came on and
> nothing else happened. but that was solved after leaving it off
> for a short while. There could be some PSU ramp us issue after
> being fully powered down but nor leaving long enough to discharge
> capacitors.

Remarkably similar.

To recap (due to slight error in original post) - the machine can be re-booted
with CTRL-Shift-F12 and hitting the Return key when presented with the shutdown
window. If F12 is accidentally pressed instead at this stage then follow it
with CTRL-Break - this will force a normal boot.

If the 'Return' key is pressed instead of CTRL-Break the machine will
power-down. However when the soft-start button is pressed to power it up again
machine will not run the disc boot program and ends up displaying a crude
desktop. A disc error 23 at C00 will occur. If the machine is again powered
down, left for say 10 minutes and subsequently re-powered then a normal full
disc boot is performed and desktop is displayed normally. This is consistent.

Regards

Richard