[iyonix-support] Re: Shutdown-Restart

  • From: David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:11:44 +0100

In message <4ef7e8e65driscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you shutdown the machine by CTRL-Shift-F12 it offers one button -
> "Restart". Stupidly I have inadvertently pressed the F12 key again by
> mistake instead of the 'Return' key. The machine responds by
> displaying the normal single white command bar with its CLI prompt at
> the bottom of the screen and then powers down.

> When the machine is re-powered I get an error:
> Disc error 23 at :4 C00 which presumably means the disc can't be
> found.

> Recovery is possible by leaving the machine off for about 10 minutes
> and then re-powering. Have other users discovered this? Is there a
> patch to stop this happening or do I have to pay more attention to
> what my fingers are doing?

The fingers are not the problem and neither is the OS, that error does
not happen here. This may be a disc problem that clears as the drive
cools down. The other possibility may be power supply, the Iyonix is a
bit fussy as the power supply ages. Others will have more direct
experience.

--
David Pitt.

Computing with RISC OS.