[iyonix-support] Re: RO 5.12 and alt-rename bug

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:15:29 +0100

In message of 18 Oct, John Cartmell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 18 Oct, Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Select has delivered the documentation!
>
> > > Having got over the problems of downloading is there any concensus on
> > > what is actually delivered in 5.12? What is the difference between
> > > 5.12 and 5.11? Is it worth the cost or is the step reliant entirely on
> > > what is to follow?
>
> > The normal commercial practice in software support is for some retainer
> > to be paid for continued development.  So far we have got off lightly as
> > we have paid nothing since the machines were released in 2002.  Castle
> > have to survive and it seems completely reasonable for them to make this
> > sort of charge.  They delayed until 5.11 was established as stable,
> > which it certainly has been here, and have devised this means of
> > entitlement to future support.
>
> > If you want future support, this is the price.  You can always wait
> > until you need it but a spirit of generosity would say that it is fair
> > to pay now.
>
> Is that from a public statement from Castle?

Get real.  This is a public discussion group.  We have discussed this
enough to get the general picture which is as above.  You are a
journalist and you should know perfectly well that you will not get
information from the horse's mouth by living on the fringe: you have to
get involved with and get the confidence of the organ grinders.  Or are
you telling us that you cannot do this?

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim@xxxxxxxxx
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/