[iyonix-support] Re: Pyjamas & Heat - Now sporting wavy vertical lines...

  • From: Terje Slettebø <tslettebo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 22:21:00 +0200

Hi.

I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing nowadays is relevant to the
discussion, but I've recently received my Iyonix Aria computer (with the
nVidia FX5200 graphics card), having only had it a couple of days, and after
it has been on for about a day (I can't say I've seen this earlier since
boot-up), I'm getting "wavy" vertical lines on my Desktop... Occasionally,
the whole picture nudges a little back and forth, horizontally, giving a
rather "sea-sickening" feeling.

Have any of you experienced something like this? Could it be that the nVidia
card gets too warm (all ventilation openings are uncovered, and the room has
normal temperature)? [1] Or perhaps an unstable PSU, giving rise to an
unstable picture?

The computer is brand new (as mentioned, I got it a couple of days ago), so
it's certainly not due to wear...

Lastly: Any suggestion for diagnosing the problem? I guess I'll leave the
computer off over the night, and see if the effect is gone when booting up
tomorrow.

However, from what I've read of this thread, the so-called "pyjamas effect"
appears to be something that usually or always happens at startup.

Thankful for replies. My Iyonix purchase has got off to a little rocky
start, as the USB keyboard I received turned out to not work (I've found
another one I could use in the mean time), and the mouse - although working
when directly connected to the computer - didn't work with the KVM (also
that one from Castle), but my original mouse works just fine with the KVM.
I've sent mail to Castle support about the keyboard/mouse, but as video
problems are currently being discussed, I thought I'd just mentioned the
above experience.

By the way, as mentioned, I'm using a KVM, and the picture from the PC (ATI
card) is rock steady (as it has always been), so it's certainly not a
monitor problem.

Regards,

Terje

P.S. Thanks for the replies in the mailing list archive thread.

[1] Paul Vigay has mentioned various temperature readings, does anyone know
if there are sensors for this in the Aria model, as well?