[iyonix-support] Re: Pyjamas & Heat

  • From: Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 22:49:18 +0100

On 7 Oct 2006  David Thomas <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've access to two Iyos: an older model in work and a newer Panther I've
> purchased second hand. I'd never seen "pyjamas" until I bought the Panther.
>
> When I cracked the Panther's case open I noticed how hot the heatsink
> had gotten on the nVidia card.
>
> I removed the existing card's heatsink and replaced it with a taller
> Zalman model designed for mounting on motherboards. (I also applied
> Arctic Silver thermal paste.)
>
> Since then I've not seen pyjamas once. This makes me wonder if some of
> the problems people are seeing are purely down to poor cooling. The
> nVidia card does seem to kick out more heat than anything else inside
> the case.

Just to muddy the waters: I have the impression (not enough
occurrences to be sure) that the pyjamas start-up has happened a bit
more often since it's got cooler in the mornings.

Panther, by the way; and it's only /ever/ happened here with the first
start of the day.

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \   /                 \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
Anne     \ / __            __  \                              England.