[iyonix-support] Re: Pyjamas & Heat

  • From: Iyonix.2006a@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 10:01:56 +0200

In message <9c447a724e.Thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Thomas Milius <Thomas-Milius@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <4e724ad9f1lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
>           Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In article <e94046724e.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >    Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Panther, by the way; and it's only /ever/ happened here with the first
> > > start of the day.
> >
> > Hmm. Perhaps I'll turn the Panther off tonight then, and see if it starts
> > ok in the morning. I normally leave it on 24/7.
> >

> I did not had any problems since I bought my Iyonix at beginning
> of 2003. Due to the discussion in this groups about silly stripes
> on the screen I made the following try:
>
> I switched my screen power saving on which I never did before (I preferred
> the manual method). Since I did this I am getting occasionally after the
> screen wake up silly small stripes somewhere on the screen. It is an
> indicator to restart the machine for it will crash a short time later.
>
> So on my machine any video trouble is directly related to incorrect
> screen saver programming however (RISC OS 5.11). For this is not
> happening every time it seems a very subtile bug. Is the grahpics
> card going into sleep also at DPMS mode? So perhaps some basic registers
> are lost under certain circumstances or the bus timing behaves
> incorrectly at wake up. Is this perhaps an effect how long DPMS
> is activated and some data on the card are lost or are having
> a random state eg. after 5 minutes?

I use the simple "Blank Screen" setting and leave it up to my monitor to
do the rest, i.e. go to sleep to save power - this is mainly since I
have several computers attached via KVM and all have this screen saving
setting. Another reason for this is that this works and worked ever
since even with my old Risc PC.

No problems ever whatsoever with that screen saver and this one
does make sure that the screen saver is a power saver too.

--
Herbert

Herbert zur Nedden
German Archimedes Group http://www.gag.de

Herausgeber DER deutschen RISC OS-Zeitschrift.