[iyonix-support] Re: Screen saver and Pyjamas

  • From: Gary Locock <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 19:06:45 +0100

In article <5b6b95724e.david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   David W Mills <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> During the earlier rash of Pyjamas posts some considerable time ago I was
> puzzled as to what is meant by the word and have since tended to ignmore the
> subject.

True pyjamas only occur in the very early stage of booting, so sadly screen
savers are a red herring.

> This latest thread caught my imagination and the mention of Screen Savers
> rang a bell. When I first had ny Iyonix (2003?) I tried using a screen saver
> and had various problems that were only sorted by Escape hold booting and
> working from there. Since then I have never used a screen saver and have
> switched off the monitor manually.

This I think concerned the other issue, of odd horizontal pixel lines
appearing on the pinboard.  It has been conclusively linked with Lazy Task
Swapping, (turn off LTS and you won't see it) but doesn't seem to be /caused/
by LTS, IYSWIM.  In fact I don't believe the real cause has been tracked down
yet.

> I'm not about to risk using a screen saver again but am intrigued by the
> following questions:

> How many of us use a screen saver? A

[Snip]

IMV there is absolutely no case for using a screen saver (pretty swirling
patterny things) because they don't save your screen... they require it to be
switched on.  LCD monitors depend on backlights, which have a long, but still
limited life.  Work it out for yourself!  The only 'screensaver' worth using
is therefore DPMS, which actually powers down the monitor and the backlight.
(Someone else will be along soon to explain what the 4 levels mean)

It might be different for CRTs, even modern ones, where cycling components
that can run at quite high temperatures/voltages isn't necessarily such a
good plan; indeed the ancient AKF60 monitor could be destroyed quite rapidly
in this way we found, so we did use a swirly screensaver on those.

ATB

Gary

--
Gary Locock, Network Manager, Bablake Junior School
Coundon Road, Coventry CV1 4AU