[iyonix-support] Re: Pyjama effect - thoughts

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:53:22 GMT

On 22 Feb, davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote in message
  <1172133451.45dd564b33aa6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Quoting RJT <Richard.Torrens@xxxxxxx>:

[Pyjamas]]

> > But it seems to me it is a hardware/design fault.
> >
> > If it is cured by disconnecting from the mains - then the internal
> > power supply is not completely switching off, but is leaving a
> > residual voltage.

It's an ATX PSU.  Whenever it's plugged in, and the switch on the back is
on, there's a 5V Aux supply to the motherboard.  It's a design feature,
and is used -- amongst other things -- to power the soft power switch
circuitry.

> It isn't cured in this way.  If you think it is, I'd suggest that you
> are believing a false correlation.
>
> > Is this design - or accident?
>
> It doesn't happen like that.
>
> > If design - what memory is it maintaining? This clearly needs to be
> > blanked at power up.
> >
> > If accident - maybe a trickle resistor to discharge it would effect a
> > cure. Or some other hardware method of disallowing an unwanted
> > residual.
>
> When the "soft power switch" is off, there is no power to the
> motherboard.

No?  I has assumed that the Iyonix was configured like any other ATX
compatible system, with the soft power switch being controlled by the
motherboard using the permanent 5V Aux supply from the PSU.  Is it
different in the Iyonix?

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/