[iyonix-support] Re: Pyjama effect - thoughts

  • From: Harriet Bazley <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:02:55 +0100

On 22 Feb 2007 as I do recall,
          Colin Granville wrote:

> In message <4eb92320d1tim@xxxxxxxxx>
>  Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> > As I have said before. It seems temperature related. Cold=pyjamas. At
> > least here. Okay, "IME" before someone jumps down my throat.
>
> I agree that Cold ambient temperatures make it more frequent but I
> find that it happens most frequently if I switch on a couple of hours
> after switching off. In fact in such circumstances my iyonix has
> become mood altering. If it starts up first time I have a quiet yeah!!
> to myself if not I tut and reach for the reset button :-)
>
> I'd be interested to know if anyone upgraded the graphics card and it
> didn't cure the pyjamas effect or the associated condition where the
> graphics gard doesn't start up at all and the screen is blank ( I
> think I'll call that the no pyjamas effect :-) )

I've never seen the pyjamas effect (that I remember), but I did upgrade
the graphics card on our Aria Cube and did, to my disappointment, see
the no-pyjamas effect again on a few occasions some time later.   Since
this was during a renewed cold snap and the room was below 60F at the
time, like you I concluded that it must surely be temperature-related.

I'd like to know how Paul Vigay keeps his house at 22C without central
heating: the ambient temperature around here in an unheated post-war
semi is more like 16C!   (In fact, I'm currently sweating slightly due
to wearing two jumpers when the temperature has spiked over sixty
degrees; wonderful thing, acclimatization....)

--
H. Bazley

Many are called, few are chosen.  Fewer still get to do the choosing.