[iyonix-support] Re: Pyjama effect - thoughts

  • From: Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:16:02 +0000 (GMT)

In article <4eb90f8a72lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Vigay
<lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <4eb90bc062Richard.Torrens@xxxxxxx>, RJT
>    <Richard.Torrens@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > But it seems to me it is a hardware/design fault.

> Surely that would occur on all machines then.

> I've bought four Iyonix machines and I've *never* seen this effect on
> any of them.

I suspect you don't turn them off very often.  ;-)

> In fact, I'm not even sure I understand what people mean
> by 'pyjama effect'.

Pretty coloured vertical bars and the machine freezes during bootup. I
tell friends it's start-up-screensaver: another missing feature from that
other OS. ;-)

> > Whatever - it's a design fault. If the Iyonix needs a hardware power
> > switch - it should have one!

There's always "pull the power lead from the socket" if yours does not
have a switch.

> I'm pretty sure that all Iyonix machines except the Aria cube have a
> physical on/off switch as well as the 'soft' on/off switch on the front.

Certainly the bog-standard Iyonix has one under where the kettle lead
plugs in. I *never* use it though.

> I've two original Iyonix's, an Aria cube and a Panther, and none of
> them have ever exhibited this effect, so I guess some other condition
> must trigger it.

As I have said before. It seems temperature related. Cold=pyjamas. At
least here. Okay, "IME" before someone jumps down my throat.

A press of the reset button has always cured it on Myonix, except once -
on a very cold day - when I had to press it twice - gasp!. Haven't seen
it for a few days but today I am off out and the windows will be open to
air and cool the house. Machine off and cold house; I think I can
guarantee jim-jams later.
Central heating on and doors and windows shut is another story. This a.m.
hot room and no jim-jams.

My guess has always been that this 'feature' manifested when there was a
change in an earlier release of the OS because the OS waits for less time
than it used to for the gfx card's valves to warm up.  ;-)))

It's so we can all blame the windoze origin of the GFX card and because
that takes "forever" to boot, lusers don't see jim-jams. (Spot the irony,
given Paul's full membership of the Bill Gates Fan Club). ;-))

I suspect Paul exists in a T-shirt-sleeve environment surrounded by hot
coffee on a USB warmer and hot fresh crispy creme doughnuts.  :-o

And he doesn't wear pyjamas......

Tim Hill,

www.timil.com