[iyonix-support] Re: Internet speed

  • From: David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:53:41 +0100

In message <d818ec7e50.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On 22 Jul 2009  Iyonix PC Owner <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> I have got an Obey file in !Boot.Predesk on my Iyonix with the following
>> line in it: *sysctl -ew net.inet.tcp.mssdflt=1500
>
>I tried just that, and it brought the start-up to a juddering halt,
>presumably after that file was run, leaving me with all sorts of
>things missing and an almost unworkable display. At least I could get
>into !Boot and remove the file, and the next start-up went without
>problem.
>
>5.14, FWIW. My advice is, "Don't try this at home unless you know
>exactly what you're doing :-)

The command must be run after the Network has been setup for the file
'sysctl' to be on Run$Path. A proper place for the command is the 'User
options' file from Internet Configuration, that is
!Boot.Choices.Internet.User

Having run the command I do not see any increase in download rates.

--
David Pitt

Using a Castle Iyonix running RISC OS 5.14