[iyonix-support] Re: Internet speed

  • From: Iyonix PC Owner <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:08:21 +0200

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Paul Sprangers wrote:

Dear all,

Dear Paul,

During the last three or four years, I had a 3 Mbit internet connection,
which enabled downloading at approximately 320 Kbyte per second, both on my
Iyonix (5.13) as on the Windows machines in our home network.

OK.

Recently, I upgraded to a 8 Mbit connection. Now, the Windows machines
download at approximately 900 Kbyte per second, but my dear Iyonix still
sticks to 320 Kbyte. Is there something that should be changed or setup at
the Iyonix side? I've really no idea where to start.

I have got an Obey file in !Boot.Predesk on my Iyonix with the following
line in it: *sysctl -ew net.inet.tcp.mssdflt=1500

It changes the default value of "mssdflt" from 536 to 1500 and speeds up
the ethernet traffic by avoiding the overhead of sending acknowledgement
packets for packet only 536 bytes big. On my 6MBit ADSL connection I get a
download rate of approximately 800 MB/second.

Funnily, my Virtual Acorn on the Vista Laptop now even manages to download
new Netsurf versions at 1,25 Mbyte per second!

This is funny indeed.

Kind regards,
Paul Sprangers

Regards,