[iyonix-support] Re: Extra IDE harddisc on Iyonix Cube possible?

  • From: Terje Slettebo <tslettebo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:08:02 +0000 (GMT)

(It seems that the reply I sent more than a day ago didn't get through
to the list, which is a shame, as I don't have a copy of it, as it
usually gets back via the list, anyway. Therefore, I'll have to write
this reply again. However, now I'll make sure I save a copy of sent
mail)

In article <4fcc30fa1eriscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Richard Ashbery
<riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <4fcba5e3bccharles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, charles
> <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You mentioned it hangs - have you allowed time for the OS to find the
> external USB drive (it can take up to 2 minutes before the SCSI icon
> appears - note...... the OS is "locked out" while the hourglass is
> displayed).

Thank you! That was it. :) I didn't know it could take several minutes
to recognise the drive but it did, and when it turned up, it worked
just fine.

When the whole system became unresponsive for minutes, I thought it
had crashed, and I muttered some expressions to myself usually
reserved for Windows... :) Then it turned out it worked, after all.

Now I've finally been able to backup my hard disc... (I ended up doing
it by connecting it directly to the DVD drive IDE, instead, as that
was 10 x faster, but now I now I can use the USB port, as well)

Thanks for all your replies, you guys are the best.

> Incidentally for file backups I use 7th software's excellent
> 7backup.

One very simple way to do it also is to simply use file copy with the
"newer" option... :) However, if you want things like scheduled
backup, or other options, then you may use backup software for it,
like the one you mention.

Regards,

Terje