[iyonix-support] Re: Extra IDE harddisc on Iyonix Cube possible?

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 15:43:02 +0100

In article <4fcba5e3bccharles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, charles
<charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <4ba891cb4f.Terje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Terje
>    Slettebo <tslettebo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi.

> > I have an Iyonix Cube, and I was wondering if it might be
> > possible to connect an additional IDE harddisc to it, internally
> > (i.e. on the IDE bus)?

I doubt there is room for a second IDE hard drive (assuming an Aria
cube). There is no doubt that the USB route is the cheapest option and
seems to work well provided the hard disc has been formatted to RISC
OS. I had a spare 40GB maxtor which I fitted into an external USB
drive housing. Before I did I formatted it by connecting to the Aria's
IDE connector (I think I had to disconnect the DVD drive and connect
it to the maxtor).

> > I have an external USB IDE drive, but unfortunately, it doesn't
> > work with the Iyonix (I was able to format it with SCSIForm, but
> > since then, the system hangs when it's connected to the USB
> > port), although it works fine on a PC, so in order to get an
> > extra harddisc (for backup purposes, etc.), it seems a few
> > options are:

I'm unsure as to whether you can perform the format properly through
the USB external disc drive housing - I was going to give this a try
but haven't had the time to do so.

You mentioned it hangs - have you allowed time for the OS to find the
external USB drive (it can take up to 2 minutes before the SCSI icon
appears - note...... the OS is "locked out" while the hourglass is
displayed).

> > 1) Connecting an extra IDE drive to the internal connectors of
> > the Cube (if such exists - usually, an IDE interface on a PC
> > supports two drives).

> > 2) Buying a new USB IDE chassis that is compatible with Iyonix.

> > I'd prefer 1), as I'd like to avoid the extra expense, but I
> > don't want to open the Cube and try 2) unless I know if it can
> > be done, to not risk damaging the system.

Incidentally for file backups I use 7th software's excellent
7backup.

Regards

Richard