[PCB_FORUM] Re: The router...

  • From: "Bye, Randy W" <Randy.Bye@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:28:31 -0500

Hmmm....I'm not sure what you mean by semi-auto....  The only true
auto-route engine in Allegro that I'm aware of is Specctra a.k.a CCT.
Any manual editing done within the Allegro GUI is done via the Allegro
interactive router, (Add Connect, Slide, Delay Tune... Etc...)  I
suppose Delay Tune could be considered semi-auto....

Regarding manual routing in Specctra:  In general I find the Specctra
GUI and pull-down menus easier to navigate and the trace editing more
intuitive.   You don't have to worry about,  Bubble (hug/shove)
settings,  it replaces etch by default,   if you set line lock to 45 you
can do either 45 or 90 not just 45s....  ,    You can toggle between
move/slide and add-connect with the RMB.   Same net checking can be
enabled/disabled with the RMB pop-up menu.   I can easily do some
auto-routing,  and then do manual cleanup/adjustments without going back
into Allegro after each auto-route pass.

There is also a laundry list of things I like better about Allegro's
interactive routing too,  so I tend to use both tools depending on what
I'm doing and where I am at in the design cycle.    Your mileage may
vary.......

In addition,  I suspect I have a little bias towards Specctra because I
used it for about 5 years before I ever started using Cadence/Allegro
tools.  Do files are my friends.......  ;-)

Regards,

Randy